Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Robbie Sidhu got things started early in the first period to open the scoring. His goal was the only marker in the period for either squad as the Flyers also had the edge in shots at 13-10.In the second frame Sidhu added his second goal of the game. The Flyers added another goal with less than two minutes left in the period to take a 3-0 lead.There was no scoring in the third, but the Flyers controlled most of the play as they dominated the shots in the final 20 minutes at 14-6.- Advertisement -Scoring for the Flyers were Robbie Sidhu (2), and Adam Horst. Final shots were 42-26 in favour of Fort St. John. Jared Andersen was in goal for the shutout.The team will be in Grimshaw on Thursday night and will play each other again in a rematch back in Fort St. John this Saturday at 8:30 p.m.
A private screening of “Quantum Hoops” was held Tuesday at Caltech’s Beckman Auditorium for nearly 200 students and professors who have experienced the more recent decades of loss firsthand. But for those not familiar with Caltech’s record, Greenwald warns that “Quantum Hoops” doesn’t project the familiar story of underdogs who turn around to win a championship – although the team did win a non-conference game against Bard College the season after the documentary wrapped. Winning used to be impossible, he said. Now, as he says in the film, “It’s not impossible, just improbable.” email@example.com (626) 578-6300 Ext. 4494 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “Quantum Hoops” follows the tail end of the Beavers’ 2006 season as they attempt, unsuccessfully, to win a single game and break a 21-year losing streak. Interspersed into the action, first-time documentarian Rick Greenwald also weaves into the story the surprisingly rich sports history at Caltech. The film includes interviews with members of the school’s 1954 basketball team – which shocked the Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference by winning a championship – and San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich. Caltech de- feated Popovich’s Pomona- Pitzer team in the 1980s – one of only two Beaver wins for the decade. PASADENA – Roy Dow fondly recalls his first day coaching the Caltech Beavers as a complete disaster. The basketball team hadn’t won a game since 1985, and scanning the court, he said he could see why. “That first day I didn’t even know what sport we were playing. The balls were flying everywhere. The sidelines didn’t seem to mean much,” said the coach, who took the position after a 21-year coaching career at Colby College in upstate New York. Four years later, Dow and his team – which includes eight high school valedictorians but only two high school basketball players – are the subject of a feature-length documentary, which recently won the Top 10 Audience Choice Award at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival.
Around the state, honorary badges have been handed out to an untold number of city council members, county supervisors, animal-control officers, prosecutors, public defenders, law enforcement auxiliary groups, ceremonial mounted posses, courtroom clerks, emergency dispatchers and others. The attorney general’s opinion was requested by a Riverside County official after controversies there and in Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties. There were published reports involving misuse of honorary badges issued by law enforcement agencies or state legislators. Earlier this year, the Legislature banned members from issuing honorary badges. In Riverside County, prosecutors and Sheriff’s Department volunteers and employees other than sworn sheriff’s deputies will no longer carry badges issued by the sheriff, officials said. The attorney general’s staff noted that the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department had issued identification cards at one point to political supporters and that the San Bernardino County district attorney had issued honorary badges. Those cards and badges have been returned to authorities. SACRAMENTO – The Attorney General’s Office is reclaiming honorary police-type badges it distributed to its 1,200 staff attorneys in Los Angeles and elsewhere because of the potential for misuse. In turn, local enforcement agencies have been advised to review their honorary-badge policies after the Attorney General’s Office determined the practice illegal because badges could be misused by people who are not sworn peace officers. Cases have come to light over the years in Southern California involving people attempting to avoid traffic citations or gain entry to restricted events by flashing honorary badges. The agencies that issue the badges – and by extension, taxpayers – could be subject to civil liability for any injury resulting from misuse of such a badge, according to a formal opinion issued by the Attorney General’s Office. One controversy arose after a legislative staffer for Assemblyman Mervyn Dymally, D-Compton, showed a legislative badge during an arrest on suspicion of drunk driving. It was one of several such badges purchased by Dymally and handed out to family, staff, donors and others. Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, D-Los Angeles, promptly banned legislators from issuing honorary badges. The Attorney General’s Office, in addition to issuing a formal opinion, ordered a recall of badges the office had issued to staff members over the years. “The attorney general’s deputies are in the process of turning the badges in throughout the state,” said Gareth Lacy, a spokesman for Attorney General Jerry Brown. Lacy said the badges were issued long before Brown took office in January. Badges are being collected from deputy attorneys in the Sacramento, Oakland, San Francisco, Fresno, Los Angeles and San Diego offices. New badges are being prepared that clearly say “Not a peace officer” on their face. “It’s up to the individual attorneys whether they want a new one, whether they want (another) credential, or nothing,” Lacy said. “They don’t have to have anything.” firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
On the principle of “Return on Success”: The principle guiding my decisions on troop levels in Iraq is “return on success.” The more successful we are, the more American troops can return home. And in all we do, I will ensure that our commanders on the ground have the troops and flexibility they need to defeat the enemy. On coming together as a Nation to support this mission: Americans want our country to be safe, and our troops to begin coming home from Iraq. Yet those of us who believe success in Iraq is essential to our security, and those who believe we should bring our troops home, have been at odds. Now, because of the measure of success we are seeing in Iraq, we can begin seeing troops come home. The way forward I have described tonight makes it possible, for the first time in years, for people who have been on opposite sides of this difficult debate to come together. On an enduring relationship with Iraq that requires many fewer American troops: This vision for a reduced American presence also has the support of Iraqi leaders from all communities. At the same time, they understand that their success will require U.S. political, economic, and security engagement that extends beyond my Presidency. These Iraqi leaders have asked for an enduring relationship with America. And we are ready to begin building that relationship – in a way that protects our interests in the region and requires many fewer American troops. On why we must succeed: The success of a free Iraq is critical to the security of the United States. Realizing this vision will be difficult – but it is achievable. Our military commanders believe we can succeed. Our diplomats believe we can succeed. And for the safety of future generations of Americans, we must succeed. Whatever political party you belong to, whatever your position on Iraq, we should be able to agree that America has a vital interest in preventing chaos and providing hope in the Middle East. We should be able to agree that we must defeat al Qaeda, counter Iran, help the Afghan government, work for peace in the Holy Land, and strengthen our military so we can prevail in the struggle against terrorists and extremists. So tonight I want to speak to Members of the United States Congress: Let us come together on a policy of strength in the Middle East. I thank you for providing crucial funds and resources for our military. And I ask you to join me in supporting the recommendations General Petraeus has made, and the troop levels he has asked for. On the gains we are making in Iraq: Some say the gains we are making in Iraq come too late. They are mistaken. It is never too late to deal a blow to al Qaeda. It is never too late to advance freedom. And it is never too late to support our troops in a fight they can win.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! On the success of the surge: The premise of our strategy is that securing the Iraqi population is the foundation for all other progress… The goal of the surge is to provide that security – and to help prepare Iraqi forces to maintain it. As I will explain tonight, our success in meeting these objectives now allows us to begin bringing some of our troops home. On political progress: Now the Iraqi government must bring the same determination to achieving reconciliation. This is an enormous undertaking after more than three decades of tyranny and division. The government has not met its own legislative benchmarks – and in my meetings with Iraqi leaders, I have made it clear that they must. Yet Iraq’s national leaders are getting some things done. For example, they have passed a budget. They are sharing oil revenues with the provinces… And local reconciliation is taking place. The key now is to link this progress in the provinces to progress in Baghdad. As local politics change, so will national politics. Tonight President Bush will address the Nation from the Oval Office to lay out his plan for the way forward in Iraq. Below are early excerpts from the President’s Address: On keeping us safe here at home: In Iraq, an ally of the United States is fighting for its survival. Terrorists and extremists who are at war with us around the world are seeking to topple Iraq’s government, dominate the region, and attack us here at home. This ally has placed its trust in the United States. And tonight, our moral and strategic imperatives are one: We must help Iraq defeat those who threaten its future – and also threaten ours.
A Kerrykeel man known as ‘Elvis’ has been fined €50 for being intoxicated.Gardai told Letterkenny District Court that they had received reports of a man on a bike asking for money from people in the car park of the LIDL supermarket in Milford.Garda Enda Jennings told the court told the court that he knew the man as Frank McGroary of Kerrykeel. He said the 68 year old was well-known in the area as ‘Elvis’ and was a pitiful sight due to his drink problem.On the day in question Garda Jennings said McGroary was attempting to speak to people in cars with children in them.The Garda said he told McGroary that he was due in court but the accused said the Garda must have the wrong man as he said he was never in court in his life.Judge Paul Kelly fined McGroary €50 and gave him one month to pay.‘ELVIS’ IS FINED €50 FOR BEING DRUNK IN KERRYKEEL was last modified: April 20th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegaldrunkElvisFrank McGroaryGardaiKERRYKEEL
Following this weekend’s match, the Bulldogs will return to the Roger Knapp Tennis Center Saturday, April 14, to play Illinois State. Print Friendly Version The Valparaiso women’s tennis team currently holds an overall record 5-8. The Bulldogs will be playing against Valparaiso after they take on UIC April 4. Des Moines, Iowa – The Drake University women’s tennis team continues MVC action on Saturday as the Bulldogs travel to Valparaiso, Ind. to square off against the Valparaiso Crusaders.Drake is coming off of a tough weekend in Des Moines battling two in-state rivals, UNI and Iowa State. The team took a hard loss 4-3 against Iowa State Thursday evening and had a comeback victory over UNI Saturday afternoon. The Bulldogs hold an 11-5 overall record with a 1-0 conference mark.Senior Summer Brills lead the Bulldogs last weekend as she went 2-0 in singles to be named this week’s MVC Singles Player of the Week. She cruised past Iowa State’s Maty Cancini 6-2, 6-1 and UNI’s Gisela Kemper, 6-1, 6-2.
Bobby Zamora is restored to the QPR starting line-up for the game against Manchester City, who are without Vincent Kompany, David Silva and Aleksander Kolarov.Zamora’s return means Junior Hoilett drops to the bench, while fit-again former City players Joey Barton and Nedum Onuoha are also among the Rangers substitutes. QPR: Green, Isla, Caulker, Dunne, Yun, Vargas, Sandro, Henry, Fer, Zamora, Austin. Subs: McCarthy, Hill, Phillips, Barton, Onuoha, Kranjcar, Hoilett. Man City: Hart, Sagna, Clichy, Demichelis, Mangala, Fernando, Fernandinho, Nasri, Navas, Toure, Aguero. Subs: Caballero, Zabaleta, Milner, Dzeko, Jovetic, Lampard, Boyata. Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material “Seacom will provide the catalyst for African consumers, business and government to realise the benefits of connectivity and collaboration across the globe.” South Africa’s second national operator, Neotel, is not part of the cable-building consortium, but owns the landing rights as part of its licence, and contributed funds toward the cable landing station and all related facilities within South African territory. “Cisco and Seacom share a common goal to enable accessible broadband across Africa while lowering the cost of communication to spur growth within urban and rural communities,” Le Roux said. Cisco Systems vice-president for Africa Yvon le Roux said they were working with Seacom to help transform Africa by outlining process change, building networks, and then providing application services and expertise that support key services for citizens, such as education, healthcare, public safety, economic development and national security. 24 July 2009 Seacom CEO Brian Herlihy said the launch marked the dawn of a new era for communications between Africa and the rest of the world, opening up new opportunities for government and business across the continent, at a fraction of the current cost. “Our tireless efforts over the past 24 months have come to fruition, and we are proud to be the first to provide affordable, high-quality broadband capacity and experience to east African countries,” Herlihy said in a statement this week. New era for communications Backhauls linking Johannesburg, Nairobi and Kampala with the coastal landing stations have been established, and Seacom is working with its national partners to commission the final links to Kigali and Addis Ababa. The entire system will be operated and controlled through Seacom’s network operations centre, which is based in Pune, India. Shareholders in the US$650-million (about R5-billion) cable include US-based Herakles Telecom (with a 25% stake), Kenya’s Industrial Promotion Services (25%), and Venfin (25%), as well as empowerment groups Convergence Partners (12.5%) and Shanduka (12.5%) from South Africa – making the cable 75% African owned. Seacom has announced that its 1.28 terabyte-per-second, 17 000km submarine fibre-optic cable system linking south and east Africa to global networks via India and Europe has been completed and commissioned. Plentiful and readily available bandwidth will also result in lower telecommunications costs and new opportunities across many sectors, including the call centre and business process outsourcing industries. Transforming Africa “Turing the switch on creates a huge anticipation, but ultimately Seacom will be judged on the changes that take place on the continent over the coming years.”
By Dr. Barbara O’NeillIs there assistance with meeting child care expenses for military families?Operation Military Child Care (OMCC) is a Department of Defense initiative to support the temporary child care needs of military parents who are activated/deployed in support of the Global War on Terrorism. This program is provided in partnership with the National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies and the Child Care Resource and Referral Network (NACCRRA), which changed its name to Child Care Aware® of America in 2012 (see NACCRRA.ORG/ABOUT-US/BRAND-TRANSITION).Following are some of the support services provided by OMCC:Helps eligible military families locate affordable child care options in local communities.Reduces child care fees of eligible military families who are already using licensed community child care programs and providers.Supplements and expands the deployment child care services already provided on military installations. For more information, refer to naccrra.org/military-families.Find more military personal finance blog posts and webinars here.Follow Dr. O’Neill on Twitter!This post was published on the Military Families Learning Network blog on February 4, 2013.